Monday, June 8, 2009

What's in your food storage??



There's a little something most of you probably don't know about me........ I LOVE FOOD STORAGE! I know, a little weird for a 25 yr. old BUT I feel like we live in a crazy world, and I want my family to be prepared as possible! Our church has been asking us for over 70 years to have a store of food in our homes, but most members of our church(85%) don't have ANY food storage!
So I wanted to share with you probably the coolest part of my food storage! Food storage has always had a stigma attached to it. If it's not wheat, beans and powdered milk, it's not food storage. WRONG!!
As you can see from my picture I have peanut M&M's, regular M&M'S, coconut, brown sugar, chocolate covered almonds, tootsie rolls, chocolate covered raisins, dove chocolates....you get the point!!
With a Vacuum sealer, you can keep these foods fresh for up to 3 years! You put the goodies in a mason jar and using a Food Saver and a Jar Sealer attachment vacuum the air out of the jars. It's that easy!

Here is a video the demonstrates how it works!
I hope this inspires you to be a little more creative with your food storage!

4 comments:

Danika said...

I am a food storage freak too. I love my vacuum sealer also. I do lots of nuts and dried fruits. They will be a good source of protein and fruit if we ever have to use them. I have done chocolate too, but it usually doesn't last long because I get into it and eat it (or I eat it before it ever gets sealed in jars)!

Have you ever done pressure canned meat? Super easy and then you can buy your meat when it's on super-sale and have it to use later. Some of mine has lasted 5+ years on the shelf.

Julie said...

Wow! I love our sealer too! I am not doing without chocolate in my food storage also! Good for you! Love you.
Mom

Cassie said...

I'm coming to your house when food storage is needed!!

The Feely Crew said...

I need to get me that attachment thing for my food saver!!! Great post!!